Wednesday, November 01, 2006

the book choices - "Cool" How a kid should live

The book I've chosen is called '"Cool" How a kid should live'. It's a religious diary, day book or journal, targeted at children and first published in 1971. (This version is copyright 1974, so it may well have been published annually.) It is stylised in its design, with lots of very 70s design elements and a big range of illustrations. There is at least one page allocated for each day of the year, and each day embraces a different religious proverb or moral. This includes an overarching phrase which is spelt out in greater detail using content from 'The Living Bible'.

This was the first book I came across when I started considering options for the project. I was attracted to the unusual design and strong 70s feel of it. The aspect of the incomplete journal is also interesting. But I'm also repelled by the religious content. I'm a fairly resolute aetheist with no strong religious interests. I'm pretty wary about taking on any religious issues in my creative work - it's not something that interests me enough to make 'statements' about. So... there's lots to this one for me, and I'm interested in teasing it all out!

As far as a guideline goes, I would like us to consider the 'purpose' and confines of this particular book. In particular, I think we could be guided by its introduction, which states:

At the bottom of every page there are blank lines. Use these spaces for:
--a record of God's special word to you that day
--a diary
--prayer requests
--birthday reminders or special events in your life

It's a cool life - when you live it the way God wants you to.

I think that these notions of record-keeping, journalling etc. can be explored in innumerable ways and I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's interpretations. Throw in prayer and religion and who knows where we might end up!


(Claire)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home